School-based vaccines and your child

These past 18 months have been a challenge for everyone, including Public Health Units across Ontario. Throughout the pandemic, we have been reminded of how important vaccines are to protect ourselves and our community against serious illness and disease. Halton Region Public Health is encouraging residents to catch up students on missed Hepatitis B, Human Papillomavirus (HPV), and Meningococcal ACYW-135 vaccines, typically given at school in Grade 7, but paused due to the pandemic.

Which students are currently eligible for the school-based vaccines?

  • Grade 7 (born 2009)
  • Grade 8 (born 2008)
  • Grade 9 (born 2007) who have not yet received vaccines offered at school in grade 7
  • Students born 2002 to 2006 to catch-up on vaccines they have missed

The Hepatitis B, HPV and the Meningococcoal immunizations are an important part of protecting individuals and our community against infectious disease. The Meningococcal ACYW-135 vaccine is required for school attendance (as per the Immunization of School Pupils Act).

Teenage girl wearing face mask, exposing arm where she received a needle.

Can our primary health care provider give these vaccines?

Yes. Hepatitis B, HPV and Meningococcal ACYW-135 must be specially ordered by your primary care provider. They are free as long as your child is eligible for the publicly funded dose. Please note: Your primary care provider can order these vaccines from Halton Region as of November 15, 2021.

Who updates my child’s online vaccine record?

You do! Your primary care provider does not update the electronic record. It’s important to report all vaccines (except COVID-19 vaccines) to Public Health in order to keep student immunization records up-to-date. If your child’s vaccines are administered at our public health clinics they will be automatically added to their online vaccine record.

How can I view or update my child’s immunization record?

You can view or submit immunizations records online or by calling 311. It is important to report all vaccines (except COVID-19 vaccines) to Public Health in order to keep your child’s immunization record up-to-date. 

I need a bit more information!

Learn more about Halton Region’s school-based vaccines including:

  • FAQ’s
  • Vaccine fact sheets

Parents, we know you’ve had a lot on your plate lately, and it’s been tough to find a balance some days. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog and learn about how you and your family can stay healthy. At HaltonParents, we are here to support you on your parenting journey.

Connect with us. We would love to hear from you:

For parenting information or to speak with a Public Health Nurse (every Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) simply call 311 or 905-825-6000.

About Carolyn Wilkie, RN

For most of my nursing years I have been out in the community supporting new parents on their fabulous journey into parenthood! I love working as part of the HaltonParents team. I have 2 awesome boys, who make me smile daily! So glad we could connect.
This entry was posted in Children & Tweens, Keeping Your Child/Tween Safe, Keeping Your Teen Safe, Parenting, Parenting Your Child/Tween, Parenting Your Teen, Teens and Vaccines and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s