In my opinion, nothing beats a splash pad for free neighbourhood summer fun! I especially love how kids, families, friends and neighbours of all ages come together to play and enjoy the cooling water jets and wafting mist.
My girls really loved going to the splash pad, and when I close my eyes I can still hear their shrieks of delight when the spray jets turned on and and they got unexpectedly soaked.
The best thing about playing at the splash pad is that play is unstructured. There are no skills or equipment required, and no schedule – just free, spontaneous fun – and that’s just what our kids need!
Here are 10 ways to keep your splash pad time safe and healthy this summer:
- Play it safe in the heat! Wear a long-sleeved shirt, hat and sunscreen and stay hydrated.
- Keep glass containers, food and beverages out of the splash pad and the area immediately surrounding it.
- Footwear or sandals are strongly recommended.
- Prevent children from drinking the splash pad water or putting it in their mouth.
- Do not use the splash pad if your children are experiencing nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
- If anyone has an open sore or rash, do not use the splash pad.
- Put swim diapers on children who are not consistently using the toilet and take bathroom breaks every 60 minutes.
- Be sure to wash everyone’s hands after using the bathroom or changing a swim diaper.
- If the splash pad becomes fouled, leave the splash pad area and notify the operator.
- Do not let the kids sit on the water jets.
Now get out there and enjoy some splash pad time this summer!
Check out the links below to find a Halton splash pad near you:
What are your favourite splash pad memories?
- Leave us a comment below
- Tweet with us @haltonparents
- Follow us on Facebook
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For parenting information or to speak with a Public Health Nurse (every Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) simply dial 311 or 905-825-6000.
Thanks. Love the tips and links to all the splash pads in Halton.
Thanks for your feedback Eileen! We love hearing from our readers! So glad you enjoyed it.