Do kids actually make their own lunches? I’ve heard of this, but does it really happen?
I was chatting with my friend Cheryl who was adamant that her kids make their own lunches because this is what she did when she was young. I chuckled (somewhat embarrassed) as I admitted that I still make my kids lunches BECAUSE I had to make my own. I actually have no memory of my parents making my lunches, maybe being the 4th child might have had something to do with it!
It’s funny (in an ironic way) that both Cheryl and I made our own lunches growing up but, had totally different takes from that experience.
For us – I know it’s time! Probably overdue, actually IT IS overdue, but who needs to dwell on the past – not me! Moving forward…
So this new school year will now include my kids making their own lunches, with a bit of help because I’m food safety obsessed. Yup I’m one of those…
However, I don’t want to impart my obsessive behaviours on my kids – BUT are they really ready? Yes! BUT can they avoid food poisoning? I think so! Here are 5 key tips that will help keep their lunches safe.
Wash Hands Self-explanatory BUT reminding kids goes a long way
- Wash hands before making lunches and eating.
- Ensure they prepare on a clean surface.
Wash Fruits and Vegetables
- Wash them under fresh, cool running water.
Keep Cold foods Cold
- Make sure they throw an ice pack in their lunch
- Have them freeze a juice box, water bottle, yogurt snack
Keep Hot foods Hot
- Heat foods right before you leave and put in a thermos
Be in the know about food allergies
- Have your kids know what they can and cannot bring to school
This short video also has some good prevention advice. Have a peak with the kids.
So are your kids ready to make their own lunches? What are your thoughts?
- Leave us a comment below
- Tweet with us @haltonparents
- Follow us on Facebook
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For parenting information or to speak with a Public Health Nurse (every Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) simply dial 311 or 905-825-6000.